Detachment 585 Commander's Welcome
Welcome to the on-line home of Air Force ROTC Detachment 585! Established in 1951, Det 585 is located on the campus of Duke University and proudly serves both Duke and North Carolina Central Universities. Eagerly carrying out the mission of Air Force ROTC by producing quality leaders for the Air Force, Det 585 is a military educational program designed to give men and women the opportunity to become Air Force officers while earning a college degree.
I invite you to check out our website, including the links to associated Air Force websites, and then follow up by contacting us for any further information. Whether you're a prospective cadet, a parent of a prospective cadet, current cadet, or friend of Det 585, I trust you will find the information useful and entertaining. Thanks for visiting, and please call or email us directly with any questions!
There are many reasons why Det 585 is the best AFROTC detachment for you. For example:
- 97% pilot selection rate over the past 10 years
- Nearly every cadet who has graduated in the last 10 years earned a scholarship during their tenure
- Model New Cadet Orientation program—immerses each new cadet into cadet/Air Force life
- Outstanding extracurricular activities: AF base visits, paintball, Duke basketball color guard, volunteer opportunities, social events and much more
- Incredibly talented and diverse cadet corps
- The absolute finest instructors--selectively manned by HQ AFROTC and approved by Duke University faculty committee--must have Masters degree or higher to be considered
- Unparalleled "Distinguished Graduate" rate among all other detachments--"DG" status recognizes the best nationwide AFROTC graduates
- Small detachment size allows for incredible leadership opportunities for all deserving cadets
- Graduates from Det 585 can qualify for every job within the Air Force!
Lt. Col. Michael Martinez
Commander, Detachment 585 AFROTC